Miss Selfridge Retail Ltd (US)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Stay Addicted

Growing up, a favorite pastime during seemingly endless vacation time was to get the local tailor to bring to life what I had sketched on paper. From clothes to bags and belts, I’ve watched in fascination as he would quickly cut and sew these designs…it was like watching a magic show and waiting with bated breath for the next thing to come out of the magicians hat. Over the years, lesser time was spent vacationing at my family home and the tailor has long since pursued more lucrative career prospects….(though I still do remain his preferred customer)…but the love for design stayed on. So fast forward to 2007, a gnawing restlessness to do something oriented around my love for design descended on me and thus ‘Addiction’ began. ‘Addiction’ is a brand under which I design clutches and bags. Again, like my tailor from my school days, I managed to find some skilled workforce who’d bring to life my sketches. Though the language barrier and our differences in design aesthetics required a amicable work-around, it’s been a lot of fun getting these pieces together and the learnings, from these guys who actually tailor these pieces, is slowly making up for my lack of formal education in design. This year’s summer collection was on display at the ‘Soul Santhe’ which was a Goasque flea market that was held last weekend in Bangalore. For the collection I chose to stick pre-dominantly with breezy fabrics in bright and deep hues, threw in a few fun florals, made staple blacks a little more dramatic with lace and animal print and added a customary white with my favorite pyramid studs. I also thought I’d branch out into other aspects of the accessories world and sourced some great jewellery from statement necklaces to bejeweled earrings, rings and cuffs. ‘Addiction’ is on Facebook (The Facebook badge on the top right hand corner of this blog should take you to it). The pictures are courtesy a photographer friend of mine and the website is on the way…...Now a breather and then it’s time to start thinking out the next collection for later this year. All in all, the entire journey has been a lot of fun and I’ve discovered that there’s nothing more fulfilling than doing something you are passionate about!

4 comments:

  1. I wish I was around for the sale - I see things that I would've liked to buy.

    Sangeeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome Archana! really beautiful stuff. I hope you have some to sell when I am down in b'lore later this year! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sangeeth and Deepthi let me know when you guys come down...you can take a look at some of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I want to buy!!! Can I buy online and pay pal you the money?

    ReplyDelete