Miss Selfridge Retail Ltd (US)

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

C'mon Mr. Prydz...



I was having lunch at Shiro's the other day and the DJ mixed this track with another house track that was really popular a couple of years ago and I was pretty certain that it was a regular Spin (read: the club that used to be on Residency Road) anthem.
For those who are familiar with my insomniac habits... you'd know that having a tune playing in your head...not going to let you fall asleep!! Well, after much mental replay, I was put out of my agony when this possibility popped in my head...Eric Prydz-Switch.
So, I quickly checked it in you tube.. and was I relieved.. the track was Switch- A bit patchy (Eric Prydz mix) released in 2006.
'Call on me' was my introduction to the world of Eric Prydz's music. With one listen I was hooked...I remember telling all my friends to listen to this incredible track!! I was super excited when the track made its debut in the clubs and sure enough, people couldn't get enough of it. I still think that this was one of his best compilations ever and none of his tracks after have come close. Even Pjanoo, I think is a close second!!
'Call on me' released in 2004 is a remixed cover of Steve Winwood's Valerie. I think this is the track that catapulted Eric Prydz to chart topping fame. In December 2009, Chris Brown and Eva Simmons collaborated on a 'Call on me' cover called 'Pass out'. Quite a catchy tune, but I don't think it really saw a release.
Eric Prydz also goes by the alias Pryda and there are a few releases under Pryda, notably F12 and Waves.
In 2006, Prydz's remix cover of Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall' titled 'Proper Education' reinstated him on the top of the charts. 2006 also saw 'Shadows', which didn't really cause quite a stir. In 2007, he released Sweet Genesis as Pryda..again not very chart worthy, it's a cover of 'Sweet Dreams'.
In 2008, his summer single 'Pjanoo' was a such a huge success, I think it started bordering on overplayed. But with this single, we also saw the last of signature Prydz hits.
2011’s offering Niton (The reason) is worth a listen...but again is nowhere close to Prydz’s previous dance anthems.
So, waiting Mr. Prydz for another signature tune!!
Apparently, the man has a fear of flying and had to cancel some international tours a couple of years ago because of panic attacks...so I guess the only way to see him live in concert is to fly to Europe. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment