Miss Selfridge Retail Ltd (US)

Monday, January 31, 2011

Ikat



I’m so accustomed to rolling my eyes at the use of Ikat in home décor because I’ve seen so much of it since I was little and it didn’t seem like a fun print! So it comes as no surprise that I never bothered to appreciate the effect or beauty of the print! All that changed until quite recently I spotted a pastel Ikat skirt. Before I knew it, like weeds (the pretty ones) the print started popping its head up on ballerina flats to clutches and of course more stylized bed linen (this time, I like this variety). Even inspiring the likes of Proenza Schouler and March Jacobs!

I always thought that Ikat originated in India, since it’s available in abundance here, but apparently its origins trace back to South-East Asia, especially Indonesia. It’s also been commonly used in South America, Central Asia and loads of other countries. Depending on the country it’s being used in, the weave differs.
I’m now changing my stance on how I feel about Ikat and think the print is perfect for a breezy summery feel!

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with you on ikat. I am constantly rolling my eyes at $70-100 ikat pillow covers! The print is a must have for homes here in the US.

    Love the blog and will add it to my must see daily bloglist!
    You probably know them already but here are some of my fav fashion blogs
    gofugyourself.com
    thesartorialist.blogspot

    ReplyDelete