Miss Selfridge Retail Ltd (US)

Friday, January 7, 2011

Scott Schuman- The Sartorialist


Sometime last year, as I was doing my rounds of the usual fashion blogs on the internet I chanced upon this blog…. The Sartorialist…since then it has become my bible.
Once I was through with the first page…I think I went through the entire archives in a span of five days…
Scott Schuman, who is the Sartorialist, captures streetwear in its essence! The really refreshing quality about this blog is that he doesn’t focus on subjects who are attired in the ‘of the moment’ trend. It’s the way an outfit is put together. It could be a small detail on the clothing or the entire outfit itself…whatever catches his eye.
The site is a visual delight and through his lens you can catch what people in New York, Milan, Paris and other cities are wearing. I love the way he captures the grand old, stylish men of Milan. It’s comforting to know that in an era of low slung baggy jeans, finely suited gentlemen are still around!

The Sartorialist was selected as one of Time Magazine’s top 100 design influences.
In 2009, the book, The Sartorialist was released. I’ve ordered my copy from Flipkart.com and can’t wait for its arrival. I was going to wait for someone to bring it down from the States for me… but with online shopping….life is so much easier! The book is supposed to be a collection of Schuman’s favorite shots of people who’ve inspired him. This is one book I’m going to treasure to be handed down…

Very recently, Intel’s visual life series featured Scott Schuman. This short film is so beautifully shot and directed. Schuman talks about his methodology and it shows a series of recent shots from his blog…like the man in the silver duct-tape boots!! I was always curious about how he approaches his subjects and this video answers that question.
What truly is inspiring is when he talk about his lack of formal education in this field and he says in this video that it is his lack of knowledge in the beginning that helped refine what he knows…

Thank you, Sartorialist for doing what you do… you are an inspiration and you’ve changed my perception of how I view fashion for life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5NgG5koPZU

No comments:

Post a Comment